When you’re in business, it matters who you surround yourself with. You get to choose your dream board of directors! These people can exist in the ‘real’ world or on the web. As with our personal life, we need to choose who we spend our time with wisely.
As an entrepreneur, I sometimes need to get outside of my own head. That’s why I actively seek out interesting people to talk to. I come away with new ideas and ways of thinking every time. I hope it works both ways. Lately I’ve been asked to join a couple of small ‘Mastermind’ groups. The purpose of these confidential networks is to support each member as we dream and do bigger things! This post is about the serendipitous magic of collaboration and how we can seek it out.
I choose to spend hours listening to business audio pod-casts. I like taking a break from reading so I can treat my ears! Today I’m sharing a 12 minute podcast with Tod Henry from the Accidental Creative. In it, he talks about how innovation is about “groups of people stumbling into the unknown together” and how “We need other people in our lives if we want to do our best work”.
Listen to Tod’s podcast: Your Collective over on The Accidental Creative website.
Would you like to have your own audio adventures? Here are some of my favourite business podcasts. I change them up all the time and some presenters now feel like old friends! I pop on my headphones anywhere and everywhere…
- The secret psychology of persuasion by web psychologist Natalie Nahai. “Nathalie helps businesses psychologically optimise their online engagement, by applying scientific rigour to their design process. In “The Good, the Bad, and the Dirty”, she will be sharing strategies and tools that you can use to enhance your online presence.”
- The unmistakeable Creative with Srinivas Rao – “interviews with creative entrepreneurs, artists, explorers and insanely interesting people.”
- On Being with Krista Tippett – “On Being takes up the big questions of meaning with scientists and theologians, artists and teachers — some you know and others you’ll love to meet.”
- London Real with Brian Rose – “London Real is the video talk show that introduces you to the most fascinating people on the planet.”
- Ted Radio hour – “A journey through fascinating ideas, astonishing inventions, and new ways to think and create. Based on riveting TEDTalks from the world’s most remarkable minds.”
- Louder than words with John Bonini – “Louder Than Words delivers the creative inspiration you need to be a more successful entrepreneur, writer, designer, or creator in general.”
The idea behind this post is simple; I want to you to imagine your dream board of directors. Who will stretch you – who will support you – who will help you to be part of something bigger than yourself? The flip-side of this idea is that you get to help other people to achieve even greater things too.
I’d love you to share your favourite podcasts in a comment or over on Twitter – you’ll find me @3thoughtbbls